What's Wrong With the Internet?


Quote of the day: 
I want the entire smartphone, the entire Internet, on my wrist. -Steve Wozniak



image: DeviantArt/JaySimmons


The internet is a weird place. Its dark and gloomy, filled with pop up ads, but yet with occasions of brilliance and magic. Dark tunnels with unending depth, dark alleys with no light, spiders with cobwebs,  and dangerous life changing actions. If the internet was a physical place it'd be one hell of a place to visit. Comedian, Dave Chapelle's sketch 'If The Inernet Was a Real Place', which by the way he did years ago, perhaps still captures modern day sentiments about the internet.

In the same breath, the internet is a beautiful place, with rainbow skies, fluffy marshmallow like clouds, and golden reflections bouncing across concrete streets lined with flowers and enchanting trees, so beautiful to gaze upon.

But what if the internet was a real person. Would it be male or female? Old or young? This would certainly be a very intelligent individual, smart in every sense of the way. Much more like Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock Holmes, or say Mike Ross from hit TV series 'Suits'.

The internet has its good sides -access to information and resources, entertainment, E-commerce, communication and a host of other advantages which basically makes life easier in every imaginable way. As with all things, something good can be used in a not so good way. And the bad aspect of the internet -Spam mails and malware, bullying, hacking, age-inappropriate content, misinformation, and addiction just to name a few.

What are your thoughts on this modern stage of the internet. Do you feel the internet needs more policing or less? Is it a good or bad place? If the internet was a real person, how would you describe him/her?


Peace. Love. Light* 



Current Listen: Hans Zimmer -Time




Post a Comment

27 Comments

  1. It's all in how you use it - more good than bad, IMO. Policing? Well that depends on who is doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting post...thx for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the internet is a family. Since there are so many aspects, good and bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the internet was a person, it would be a multiple split personality. From sweet and wholesome to down and dirty with all facets of personas in between.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the internet were a person, I'd say it would be a lot like Jekyll & Hyde. As far as needing more policing or not, that's a tough one, in which I don't have an answer and mixed feelings on. Such a great post! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you're having a great start to your week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we need to guide each other and younger people in using the internet responsibly, as a tool or entertainment, but in balance with Real Living... not as a replacement for it. As a parent and a teacher, I take this seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it were a person, I'd say it has mental illness--either bi-polar or schizophrenia. I find people tend to be nastier on social media...but then I have found some really good friends on the blogs....

    It's a love/hate sorta thing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing is Good or Bad, but posting makes it so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainly does have its bad points but I stick to the good side. And the blogging world is great. I've met some amazing people from all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The video was quite amusing. I think the internet genie is well and truly out of the bottle and can never be put back, no matter how many Chinese public servants try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts are that you wrote an awesome description of the internet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a balance. And it depends on how you use it. As for people like me who works for a living via the internet, it's important and it's a great tool. For some though, it can be a means of destroying people (or their own lives).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though I am all for the Internet, I feel people are getting too addicted to it, all the time checking their smartphones for the latest notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Blogoratti - I don't think of the Internet as a person - it's a tool and I use the good bits, and ignore the bad bits ... good meaning humans have to learn to more discerning - it's a tool ... it can be put down, and discarded at times ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see the internet as some intelligent rebel. I'm having a hard time picturing its physical characteristics if it were a person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, great post. The internet is a great tool. I think some of the people that use it can be bad, like the hackers. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Policing, I'd say no. Everyone can give and take and share, look, comment, ignore as they see fit. If it were a person, a bi-polar average-looking man with ADD, who suffers from insomnia and knows a little about everything and overshares it all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I continue to do as Granny advised in general...Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. I tend to take every thing "with a grain of salt".

    ReplyDelete
  19. If the internet was a place then it would be like the land of the Eloy from H.G.Wells' The Time Machine. Idyllic and plentiful but then a Morlock would come along and ruin your day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im lucky because I have good friends but sometimes I find these darkness and really I was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome Fashion blog, Get more details About the
    Delhi Fashion Blogger click on link,
    http://www.angelmstyle.com/category/fashion/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so used to looking at whatever I want to on the internet therefore in my opinion it should not be policed or anything banned - it's out right as humans to choose what we want - it's freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting questions. I used to think of the Internet as a male, taking on the personality of the original developers. thankfully, it has changed over time as is more well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  24. More male than female, I was always thinking about it 'he'. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would describe it as a big dYsfunXtional family. It is far, but you don't really feel the distance when you connect with someone/a family member. It could be of X or Y chromosomes. It is fun for the most part. I hope you like my new word!

    ReplyDelete
  26. just like the world, the internet is full of good and bad. i think it allows the bad to be worse since they can hide behind a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Internet is useful but it can be dangerous too...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti