The Importance of Willpower


Quote of the day: 

You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
-Aristotle 







The lack of willpower is often cited as one of the roadblocks to achieving what we really want in life. How many people believe they could improve their lives for the better? A lot probably. And how many have the will power to do so? Probably a little. On one hand we go through life by trying to avoid our impulses, and on the other we wished we had more will power and self discipline. Some have it more than others.

Willpower is often cited as a mental muscle that can be trained. It is no more than the ability to control your thoughts and overcome feelings of laziness and episodes of procrastination, and the capacity to overcome unwanted thoughts and actions. This inner strength and power is necessary to overcome a lot of the things that you face on a daily basis. It is the difference between over-indulging and under-indulging. With it you can practice restraint, and in so doing choose to do things that you need to do -compared to doing things that you want to do or desire. The former is good for you in the long run, while the latter is more of an 'in the moment' satisfaction.

It can be seen in our interaction with people too. How many times have you faced provocation only to lose your cool? And what about the time that you faced provocation, only to take a deep breath and take control of the situation. There is nothing wrong with allowing your emotions get the best of you, but you shouldn't be controlled by it. Instead of a knee-jerk response to a situation, why not take a few seconds to reflect and analyse things. Do you really want to have your good mood tainted over something not worthwhile? There are many ways to vent your anger and frustration but never give the remote control to someone else. But as it is with life and stress, at some point you will reach the boiling point and lose your temper over something or someone. Nothing can be bottled up forever. When such does happen you need to own the situation and move on.

Do the things that otherwise make you feel lazy. Sometimes ordering a take-away is convenient when you are too lazy or can't be bothered to cook. But with willpower, you can get up and start cooking and before you know it the food is done and you will appreciate it more than if it had been ordered. But then again cooking is not for everyone, but you get the gist of things. It's all about developing your will power, get into the act of driving your life decisions and not just be in the passenger seat. Doing things at a steady pace and not trying to do everything at once is a good way to maintain energy levels.

There will days when your will power will be at its lowest, and other times when it will be at its highest -after all it remains a resource that can be depleted or augmented.




Peace. Love. Light* 


Current Listen: Bessie Smith-The Yellow Dog Blues




Post a Comment

38 Comments

  1. Willpower is easier to have sometimes rather than other times. I think getting lots of sleep and eating well, plus exercise, all those healthy things, makes it easier to have that inner strength. Thanks for the nice post on a subject we all need to be reminded about on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willpower translates into sustained effort in the face of adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super maravilhosa essa postagem, obrigado pela visita, tenha semana abençoada.
    Blog:https://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br
    Canal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmO8csZDARM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I let stress defeat my willpower on occasion. It is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i got it eventhough only the main meaning because english is not my mother language, and for used google translate its really diffrent with my languange structure. yups we well do nothing without brave. willpower and effort makes impossible to possible. me too before i leave my mom house i cant cooking but when i live alone tried to cook by my self its really hard in first but by the time its become habbit.

    note : i m sory for bad structure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have better willpower when I am rested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed to hear this today to remind me how strong I really am in dealing with the situation with my sister who is continuing to put derogatory remarks about me on FB because 3 yr. ago I was too sick and in pain for her to visit on her vacation and she says it's because I won't speak to her. We never talked except when she wanted to spend the weekend. So, she posted her worst comment yesterday on my brother's FB page when he talked about having a good time on his visit to us over the weekend. He called her out on it and now she's even more angry saying he's upset with her because of me and I caused it all. Lord give me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lived with someone who constantly had knee-jerk reactions and let his emotions get the better of him - never seemed to want to try to be rational. It causes a lot of pain. Many people have no clue what willpower is, they liken it to quitting smoking or losing weight. A big part of it is self-respect and dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One Sunday afternoon, at my campus university, I heard a female student shout this from a hall of residence window - "Procrastination is the spice of life!" It's something that has always stuck in my mind and you know, I believe there was a big element of truth in it. Procrastination and laziness should not be lightly dismissed or necessarily viewed as negative human traits. We can't be swimming all the time. Sometimes we have to recuperate by lying on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Willpower for me can totally depend on what's at stake. I can have excellent willpower in most things. However, I do believe there are physical (or mental) instances when it's truly impossible for some people to gain control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quote, wonderful post and love the head with the sky and clouds ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will is the guy that pushes my lawnmower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will power is the only power that brings us through ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing and have a nice day)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, thanks for the information. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Willpower, combined with God's inspiration, is what has kept me motivated in all my writing endeavors. Yes, it's so worth it!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This afternoon my son did something that required great courage, and he'll need a lot of willpower in the days to come.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Willpower differs with the situation for me. Sometimes, I can resist eating a food I shouldn't, like something sweet, and other times I succumb to the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My willpower waxes and wanes. Now if I can be more consistent with my discipline....that will surely be the moment I seize the day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Willpower is definitely a product of the mind and inner strength. I do think it's something you can practice and improve. Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Got to have will power to do things - good article.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonjour,

    La volonté est nécessaire pour avancer dans la vie...
    Un article intéressant.

    Gros bisous 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful thoughts on developing willpower. I have been working on mine - sometimes I can focus, other times - not so much, but I try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Since I lean toward determinism, I don't think there's much we can do about willpower. I think we have it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mine is very low atm and I really have to work on it.
    I want my control back...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good advice. Willpower must be strengthened and nourished just like the body and the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  27. An inner strength is needed and some seem to have this more than others.
    I enjoyed reading your article, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I needed to read this just now, "But as it is with life and stress, at some point you will reach the boiling point and lose your temper over something or someone. Nothing can be bottled up forever. When such does happen you need to own the situation and move on."

    I usually think I am so patient and "cool as a cucumber" but I have recently proved myself wrong. I liked reading all that you wrote about willpower and owning your own actions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. In order to have access to our willpower in a more comfortable and easier way, we have to train it, to exercise it on a regular basis, like going to the gym five days a week!

    I took the day off from the gym today. I needed a break.

    I took the day off from the willpower today and bought a delicious coconut pie that l love! I needed a break!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  30. Willpower = stubbornness or maybe determination for me, as onward we go at my sea.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good post!! The first step is the hardest part. Once you get going you realize how good it makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. As usual interesting post! Thanks a lot for sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this. "It's all about developing your will power, get into the act of driving your life decisions and not just be in the passenger seat". It drives home that without developing the mental muscle as you pointed out, one can live through life and not be in control and just follow the typical narratives of school, work, raise a family and never actually pursue his own goals.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a really good post. I admit to sometimes struggling with willpower when it comes to eating things I probably shouldn't be eating. The willpower was a little stronger on that end when I was younger. Controlling my frustration or anger, however, has become much better with age. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have the power of willpower but I don't often use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. with willpower, you can get up and
    start cooking and before you know it
    the food is done and you will appreciate
    it more than if it had been ordered

    Home-cooked food can always be taken warm and fresh.It cannot be said about bought food though. That's the beauty of home-cooked food! Certainly it has a lot to do with the will-power of deciding to cook oneself!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  37. As usual very interesting, dear! Thanks a lot for sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're totally correct, having willpower and self discipline is really important. It's difficult to always have it but it has so many benefits. Well written post! xx
    Coco Bella Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti