What I'm Reading Right Now #33


Quote of the day: 
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. -Carl Sandburg 

As far as my goal to read at least 5 books a month goes, I can say that is is looking a lot more feasible than I had originally thought. You see I didn't need more hours in a day. Reading takes far more attention than most other things. I worked around this by fitting reading into my schedule -which I will talk further about in an upcoming post.



From my reading list for January, I am currently reading a book by Russian author Vladimir Nabokov (also knowny by the pen name Vladimir Sirin) titled 'Laughter in the Dark'. Originally written in Russian and translated to English by the author, the story is set mostly in Berlin, and revolves around Albinus- a rich and respected middle-age art critic with a family, who meets a a youthful lady at a cinema, and it is from that point that everything changes.

It's quite a fast paced narrative, very humorous at times and other times cold, passionate, calculating, and disruptive. An emotional roller-coaster of sorts. I'd gladly recommend.

Other books I've read this month

Hiroshi Murakami -Sputnik Sweetheart
Paulo Coelho -The Alchemist
Pearl. S. Buck -The Good Earth
Kazuo Ishiguro -The Remains of the Day


What books are you reading at the moment?



Current Listen: Damien Rice – I Don’t Want To Change You




Post a Comment

16 Comments

  1. Your summary of this book gives off a vibe that makes me yearn to read it.


    How are you tho? Happy Sunday.
    www.lilyofnigeria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post dear! Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Older man meets young lady, and the whole thing written by Vladimir Nabokov - now, what does that remind me of...? :-)
    I must admit I've never read any of Mr. Nabokov's works, but it seems this was a recurrent theme for him.

    The amount of time reading takes up in my schedule varies and depends on my mood just as much as on circumstances such as the weather or whether or not I am on my own or have company, am working or on holiday. On the way to and from work, I read every day, but at home, maybe 5 out of 7 nights before going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your reading. You seem to manage books that I find over face me. I stick to much lighter authors. I've just finished a novel by Ben Elton called Time After Time. As the title suggests, it's a time travel story, but it is centred on the politics of WWI (or how it started, anyway) and is more serious than you might first think. If you ever fancy some light (by your standards) reading, I can recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When do you find all the time to read? I try to read for an hour or so a day...but there never seems to be time for more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on reading 5 books a month... I've started reading a book and I'm going to read it on the bus to and from work, it's really about making time xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still on with Elmer Gantry, because I'm reading a couple of others at the same time. I finally got round to finding Submission, but I found the ending rather unsatisfactory. A few loose ends left dangling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I typed finishing and the computer decided I meant to say finding

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a good achievement to read that many books a month. I wouldn't have time..
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Laughter in the dark' sure sounds like an emotional roller coaster

    www.jbshares.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mr. Blogoratti,

    I should really get around to reading "The Alchemist".

    Now, I am on a Mario Puzo spree, currently reading "The Godfather". I watched the movie years ago and recently decided to purchase 3 books by the author- The Sicilian, Godfather and Omerta.

    Ah! He writes so beautifully. Movies don't really capture the essence of a novel.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dica maravilhosa amei a resenha, tenha uma semana abençoada.
    Blog:http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br
    Novo vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apP6eHn5PlI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still reading The Buried Giant, but love your list. The Alchemist is a favorite, and The Good Earth is beautiful as well. I like to read non fiction too, to always be learning something new. I tend to choose that more often than novels, but you provide inspiration for novel reading and recommend books that appear to be very worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are quite the avid reader. I admire you for taking the time to read and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah i guess so, avid reader you are. goals.
    www.tegastoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti