We Are All Minimalists But May Not Know It


Quote of the day: 

When you give your items away, don’t keep the excess of your pride.
-Bremer Acosta





Sometimes less is more. Somehow we still find ourselves stuffing clothes into wardrobes. And if we need more space we just get a bigger wardrobe, or suitcase. What else do we store away, oh right books. You really don't know how difficult it is to transport books -until you have to move house. And if you have a large library the harder it is to transport. Do we really need a library of hundreds and hundreds of books -most of which to be honest we only get to read once? I don't know. What I do know is that today, I'd rather borrow a book than buy one. It is not due to a lack of interest but more to do with dwindling storage space. And what about all that junk we hold on to, things with so called 'sentimental' value. Filled drawers, closets, basements, boxes and boxes of stuff and products collected over the years, cluttered living space, and a propensity to keep buying things we end up not putting to good use.

We live in world of hyper-consumption, zombies programmed to spend, spend, spend, and sometimes we just can't help ourselves. The idea of minimalism -which this post is really about, is an approach centered on living simply. Less is more and all that. Embracing more of the essence of things around you, less the physical objects. Watching a documentary about two guys who call themselves the minimalists reminded me of how one can get by with simpler living. A minimalist is often described as a person who has a moderate approach to thing. So in a sense anyone who likes keeping things simple is a minimalist. In art history, minimalists were artists whose work were filled with simple ideas and gestures. In government, there are those who advocate for minimal reforms. No matter which end of the pole you are minimalism is everywhere.

Minimalism sheds the excess clutter and reveals the underlying layers of clarity that we often seek. With minimalism the word 'enough' takes on a new meaning. Only the essentials matter. Everything else falls into oblivion. The main task becomes prioritizing what is necessary and doing away with the extras. Whether it involves doing a yard sale, donating to charity, or just throwing stuff away, a clutter free environment should count for something.

Minimalism is a lot harder than it sounds and something to think hard about before starting. It shouldn't be forceful but it should come from a good place. These days you don't even have to worry about paying to dispose off things you don't need any more-some local charities will pick up the stuff if you contact them. You de-clutter your home and at the same time make a change in a person's life somewhere.

I imagine myself living in such a way that even if I were to move to a smaller space, all my possessions would fit in nicely. But alas that may not be the case as I continue to remind myself about living clutter free -mentally and physically.

What are your thoughts on minimalism? Do share.



Peace. Love. Light* 



Current Listen: Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

Post a Comment

32 Comments

  1. Minimalism is a good but difficult thing.
    Some books I just cannot give away, just looking at them gives me joy. But I have a kindle since over a year and got only books about my town in paper.
    The hubby gives a big amount of clothes to a local charity. Some so-called charities shred the clothes and sell them to Africa, I´ve seen in a documentary, so you always have to make sure to find the right place.
    I think you have to find the right balance minimalising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be a minimalist in many things. I own mostly t-shirts and jeans. I have one pair of boots, one pair of tennis shoes. I have only a dozen videos, many of which were gifts. Only in books am I a hoarder, and I have many, many, many

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be a minimalist, and I try to get better every day, but I have way too much stuff. It is difficult, but I know that I need to downsize for my own sanity! (lol) Thanks for such a great post! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a small apartment so I am always throwing stuff away or giving it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Am a regular declutterer; not so much from the mentality of minimalism as the fact that I see little point in attachment to things. Everything must serve a purpose. If no longer doing that, or is surplus, let it move on. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You remind me of George Carlin's routine about "Stuff". And it is all true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to get rid of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I believe vs what I do can be contradictory. Books. One of my greatest weaknesses in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once had a one of those libraries. I went through every book. I gave a LOT away. I only kept the ones I thought I'd read again one day and I did keep all my Charles Dickens books. Now I just borrow books from the library. I still have a couple of shelves of books that I have yet to read and as I read them I give them away.
    I do fairly well with stuff, but still could get rid of more. Will be moving soon so this is a great opportunity to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clutter has gotten to me and I can't take it anymore. There's hardly any room to turn around in. Yesterday, began the purge. The junk man came and took a whole bunch of stuff. Still have lots more to purge, but I feel light already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to minimize the amount of stuff in my home, it'a hard! Books I have no problem with though. I have kept a small bookcase of my all time favourites and we use the library all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minimalism is great in theory. Hard to practise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wife and I do pretty good not accumulating stuff. Books, we now get at the library and the ones we own, after reading them, donate them to the wee free library down the road from out house. We started to give stuff away when we moved from Alaska back in 2004 to Oregon. Then more stuff left us on our way to Maine and then the ultimate giveaway was when we came to Ireland. So in a matter of 10 years we got it all down to 3 suitcases, a backpack and a plane ticket. It is very liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of minimalism, but it's pretty much impossible for me to achieve. I like to collect so many things: books, craft supplies... :) Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living a minimalist life is not easy but it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Blogoratti ... I have just tried to reduce somewhat - did a fair amount - but not enough ... kept some books, pictures and rugs ... and few other odds - now in store for a while! Would like to get organised when I get back and so reduce loads more ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I share!
    Two or three years ago I came across a book (and later on videos) by Maire Kondo and started following her KonMari method. It works! Minimalism at its best!!
    I gave away all my paperback books and kept the others. I have been borrowing from the library for many years. I just buy (from time to time) the ones I want to keep. The last one I bought (over a year ago) was Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. If I were to buy all the books I read (average 70-80 books per year) it would become very expensive and I would not have the space to store them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you on books. Moving those is such a chore. I think that's why we're storing more and more in the cloud. Books. Movies. Music. Access from any device. Perfect for minimalists.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I have too much stuff. I need to start getting rid of things that are no longer needed.

    peace, light and love

    ReplyDelete
  20. I try to bring minimalism to my life - it's good for us!
    love
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  21. More and more, I discover myself...
    And I see I am totally into Minimalism! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually consider myself a minimalist B, but after reading this I seem to have an urge to go and re think what I have in my cupboards 😀

    ReplyDelete
  23. As usual great post! Thanks a lot for sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, we are all minimalists, friend B ... and we are all minimalists as well as we all came from this earth and we all will return to it some day as well ... Anyway ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love simplicity and minimalism. Clutter, knick-knacks, bric-a-brac, and shtuff just get in the way. I'd rather have a few things of quality and less things; than a lot of things just to have things.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks a lot :D

    this is so true! I'm totally agree with you!

    NEW COOKING POST | Have you tried COUSCOUS? Here's a super easy recipe! :o
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I try to live minimally but you wouldnt know that from looking at my house!
    My very small income the last few years has been the best thing ever for making me think three times about purchasing anything

    ReplyDelete
  28. The older I get the more minimalist I become. Such a great post. Especially had to smile about the books...several years ago had to re-carpet two rooms that had books and more books...hmm I think then and there I decided to give away some of those precious tomes! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti