3 Places to Visit in England, and No London Is Not on the List! #2


Quote of the day: 

Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going. -Paul Theroux 


Last year I wrote a post about three places to visit in England. It covered destinations that may not be as popular as London, Manchester or Liverpool. It generated great and interesting feedback and comments. I knew then that a part two was inevitable. And now here it is. This second part explores more travel destinations within England. Whether you are traveling solo, with a group, a partner or family, there are many interesting places to visit not only in England but in the entire UK. The attractions are endless. If you have time on your hands, the world is really a wonderful place to travel through.

In England, there are many such places that you have probably never heard -if you live outside the country. Although, the more popular places tend to be better known. The part two of this post continues with an overview of Cumbria, Dorset and Sheffield -three destinations to visit below.


1. Carlisle, Cumbria

Carlisle Castle in Carlisle, Cumbria
Credit: AboutBritain

Cumbria is a predominantly rural county, and non-metropolitan in North West England. Cumbria is the most north-western county in England, and the Cumbria County Council, its local government, came into existence in 1974. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful places in England.

Carlisle, nicknamed the 'Great Border City', is a city and the county town of Cumbria. It is located close to the Scottish border, and early history marked it as a Roman settlement -that was established to serve the forts on nearby Hadrian's Wall -a designated World Heritage Site. In the middle ages Carlisle became a strong military stronghold, and Carlisle Castle (shown above) built during that period in 1092,  by William Rufus, is still relatively intact.

The historic City of Carlisle has lots of attractions including museums, events, food and drink, shopping and tours. And lastly, its easily commutable and finding accommodation is very easy.

Fun fact:

Carlisle was founded as Luguvalium by the Romans. The 'Picts' took it over when they left. And then the 'Vikings' were next on the list, before the 'Scots' displaced them. Furthermore, the 'Normans' added Carlisle to their territory after the Conquest. The 'Scots' retook it in the 12th century. However, the English got the City back in the end.



2. Poole, Dorset


Aerial view of Poole, Dorset
Credit: Telegraph

Dorset is a county in the South West of England situated on the English Channel coast. As a county, it has a very long history of human settlement that stretches back to the Neolithic era. With a varied landscape of countryside and coastline, it is a great place for weekends and short breaks.

Poole is a large coastal town and seaport in Dorset. At its peak during the 18th Century, it was one of the busiest ports in Britain. With its large natural harbour, Poole is a tourist resort and is home to various institutions including universities and the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. Poole harbour is famous for its sailing centres in the UK. With lots of miles of golden sandy beaches with clear waters, offering watersports, boat trips and fishing trips, there are certainly lots of activities in this town. One of the most popular beaches is Sandbanks -located within a small peninsula in Poole. Ruins can also be seen on the woodland walk on Brownsea Island.

Fun Fact:

It is said that the sea at Studland, Poole has the highest density of seahorses in the world and a large number of its relative, the Pipefish.



3. Sheffield, South Yorkshire


Chatsworth House and Gardens, Sheffield
Credit: HomePages

South Yorkshire is a Metropolitan county and consists of four Boroughs including Sheffield. The history of its constituent settlements dates back to centuries ago. It consists of rolling landscapes and major rivers.

Sheffield is a city in South Yorkshire, England. And its name is derived from the River Sheaf which runs through the city. Also known as the 'Steel City', Sheffield gained its reputation in the 19th Century for steel production and aiding in the industrial revolution. Sheffield is home to two universities. It has been said that sixty-one percent of Sheffield entire area is made of green space, with more than 250 parks and gardens in the city. It is a vibrant and thriving city which prides itself on its cultural scene, innovation and award winning theatre. Whether traveling there for business or holiday, there are various activities to catch up on, things to do and see, and places to explore. It is filled with different museums, parks, including the Chatsworth House and gardens, sports and recreation events, nature and wildlife areas and trails, and historic sites and landmarks.


Fun fact:

Sheffield is said to have the highest ratio of trees to people of any city in Europe, with over 2.5 million trees.

*
And there it is, the end of part two of the travel series. If you found this interesting do feel free to share the post, and hopefully there will be a part three at some point. Have you visited any of those places, or would love to visit?. What other destinations anywhere in the world would you recommend?

Happy 4th of July to the folks in the US!



Peace. Love. Light* 



Current Listen: Bill Withers -World Keeps Going Round


Post a Comment

55 Comments

  1. I'd love to visit any of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An enjoyable post, good Sir !
    always wanted to tour the places of the UK... read about them (and studied upon texts and what images we could find on them) and the wonderful ruins and "ancient places"...
    have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved list #2!

    I have to look for list #1.

    The only places I know in the U.K. are: London, which I visited 3 times; Leicester where I stayed for about one week; went to Oxford for a whole day... it was great! And a small town with a beautiful hotel and good pubs. :) its name scapes me now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days later I remember!! : ))

      Stone and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. In Stone I visited the first floor of this beautiful and luxurious hotel - Hartwell House Hotel - and walked the area surrounding it - absolutely breathtaking. I would not mind spend one week there!!

      Delete
  5. I haven't been to Carlisle, but it's scheduled on the trip I'm taking to Scotland in July 2018. Yes I know, it's in England but we are landing in Manchester then travelling north!
    Yes, I was in Poole a long time ago, and yes I think I have been to Sheffield. Actually I have been to Rotherham, is that near Sheffield?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Poole but I once had a friend in Canford Cliffs, very close by. A lovely area. Weymouth and Portland are worth visiting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy visiting the UK. I would enjoy either of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely musing with you on these scenes, friend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please keep quiet about Sheffield Mr B! We don't want coaches filled with Londoners coming up to our city. It's one of England's best kept secrets and we want to keep it that way but I will issue you with a special entry visa as you are a good guy... for a Londoner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Mr. B for this informative post about other places to visit in England. I would like to visit all of these places, but Poole and Dorset seem the most attractive to me just looking at the photo. I have friends who live in Etwall, Derbys, so that would be on my list of a place to visit. Thanks too for the visit to our blog and the holiday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a tree hugger, so for sure if I visit the UK, Sheffield will be on my agenda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been to Carlisle and it is very nice and not too far from the Roman fort and village, Vindolanda, which is well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore these pics, and totally love learning about new places to visit that may not be well known. That's the fun in exploring I think. Thanks so much for the wonderful tips! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for expanding my horizons even if it's from my comfy chair. Really beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are so many places I would like to see, and these look wonderful. Maybe full of tourists but not probably a lot of people from here across the pond in the US. I love visiting places that aren't so typical for lots of people to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the adventure

    ReplyDelete
  17. My friends and I are hoping to go on a staycation and these destinations sound really good. Cumbria isn't too far from where I live, we just might go there. Thank you for sharing! xx

    Coco Bella Blog 

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tour! I especially enjoyed the Fun Facts about visits from Vikings. My heritage is from the UK, predominately Wales; my husband was born in Norway (in the oldest Viking town in Scandinavia) and I have a feeling our relatives could easily have met many years ago. Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blogging style seems to have changed Blogoratti! The photo of me on a beach with my mother and brothers that I put on my blog recently was taken at Sandbanks in the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't travel and have never left the usa, but if I had to pick one of these three it would be Poole, Dorset. that is gorgeous. I do love castles and have always wanted to visit Scotland and UK and Ireland to see the castles. and I want to see the moors, can you tell I read a lot? I love OLD things

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've provided ideas for future trips to the UK. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think we'll get to that first one since we are visiting Scotland for 2 weeks in September and want to get to Hadrians Wall. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to visit. Sigh, maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
  24. All three look like idyllic places to be.

    ReplyDelete
  25. See, I want to come visit, but I'm going to have to take a whole month, or year when I do because there's just too much. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like that ratio of the trees to the people in Sheffield.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes to Dorset! I used to take my children there camping with the Woodcraft Folk. Happy memories. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You chose 3 wonderful places, all of which I often visited when I lived in England. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sheffield is my home town... I lived there from the late 80s to 2005
    I love the city
    Warm, interesting, the centre if everything ......

    ReplyDelete
  30. I long to visit England. I want to wander all over the country.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kps your photo is not Of the city of sheffield.. It is of Chatsworth house which is in a different county... Derbyshire x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely check out these places if I ever visit England.
    www.effortlesslady.co

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the beautiful mini-tour. I think I could happily spend time in Dorset. Then again, Studland sounds as though it could meet my needs. Smiles.

    Thanks for visiting Blogoratti.
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Blogoratti, my illustrious friend, I have had the great pleasure of visiting those three locations you so articulately note. My son was in Carlisle last month and he had a wonderful time.

    Greetings from Leek, Staffordshire in the heart of the Moorlands.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  35. I adore the fact you have taken me to places I've never heard of (except for Sheffield, of course) and will probably never see. I really enjoyed the overview of these locations. I also enjoyed reading the fun facts. Being of British decent, this was really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. England is such a diverse and beautiful country. I liked your fun facts too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes - one of the most beautiful countries to visit! I ♥ GB!
    Greetings from Austria
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Blogoratti- these are wonderful places to visit - I haven't yet been to Chatsworth... but the area is beautiful, nor have I spent much time in Dorset, always driving through further west ... and Cumbria I know a little of ... England is full of fascinating places to visit - and I'll look forward to your choices - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dorset and Cumbria are definitely two favourite places. Not so sure about Sheffield, thiough the countryside around it is fabulous. Hope you continue exploring our amazing and diverse country!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I always enjoy reading about off the beaten path places and these three hold quite an allure for me. I have been wanting to visit the British Isles for quite some time now, and when I do, I hope to be able to visit at least one of these fascinating places. Thanks for sharing your insights and travelogue with us!

    ReplyDelete
  41. They sure sound like three great stops. That is a lot of trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've enjoyed exploring many of these destinations B.. England is beautiful, so very different from Australia ☺

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sin duda maravillosos lugares, las fotos son muy bonitas. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Trees to people ratio. Excellent! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like these alternate places. Never been here.

    ReplyDelete
  46. England is my favourite country! Haven't been to the three places you mentioned, so I keep them in mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for this. I have only done London, Manchester, Leicester and Milton Keynes. I should start exploring other places.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great quote! Thank you for the list! These places are breath taking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti