Netflix: Best British Detective Shows to Watch


Quote of the day: 

Great things are done by a series of small things brought together. -Vincent Van Gogh



Netflix has a wide array of series to pick from. Truthfully, it can become a task to pick one to watch. At the end of the day, it all boils down to your mood. Netflix original series or regular series?. Do you go for drama (crime drama or courtroom drama?), comedy (classic comedy or dark comedy?), action (action thriller or Sci-fi?), documentary (crime documentary or historical documentary?), thriller (spy thriller or supernatural thriller?). I believe you are starting to get the picture.

Alas, with more and more content getting pumped out monthly by Netflix, one gets plunged further into this madness of a maze. However, luckily Netflix recommends content based on what you have watched recently or in the past. For instance, If you watch comedy, it recommends other material to you which you may find interesting.

It is worthy to note that British production is somewhat different from US production when it comes to Tv series. Different formats and such. It may be due to a lack of sufficient writers or funding, or it may be a preference for quality over quantity. Whatever it is I am clueless. British series typically contain shorter episodes in a season, say around 4 or 5, and sometimes you are left with the distinct feeling of having watched an entire movie rather than season one of a show. On the other hand US series tend to be much longer, probably due to having more writers and funding on their side, and most shows are typically 10 episodes or more.


Luther (4 Series)


A British crime drama series starring Idris Elba as 'Luther' -a sometimes dangerous, violent and passionate detective who works for his local crime unit. A popular figure well known for his ingenious ways of solving crime cases. Its creator is Neil Cross who was inspired by Sherlock Holmes and Columbo. The series is often gritty, fast paced, with great acting from the cast, including Ruth Wilson who plays the role of Alice Morgan -a research scientist and psychopath. 



Sherlock (4 Series)




You may have heard or read about the fictional character Sherlock Holmes before. Well this series is based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories-a 130-year-old character. It was created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, and starring Benedict Cumberbatch as 'Sherlock Holmes', as well as Martin Freeman as 'Doctor John Watson'. Set in the present day, Sherlock is a stand out, due in part to its brilliant writing as well as Benedict's acting and charm. The series is packed with suspense and mind blowing cases, and with dialogue that will make you chuckle.


Line of Duty (6 Series)


Line of duty is a police crime drama like no other, created by Jed Mercurio and shot in Birmingham and Belfast. The whole series revolves around the investigations of anti-corruption unit AC-12. Starring Martin Compston as DS Steve Arnott who was transferred to AC-12, after the death of a suspect in a mistaken shooting during a counter-terrorist operation. The series is filled with non-stop gripping action and brilliant acting all through.


What shows are you watching or hoping to watch at the moment?


Peace. Love. Light* 



Current Listen: José Marín, Raquel Andueza soprano -Ojos, pues me desdeñáis

Post a Comment

30 Comments

  1. We are unable to stream due to our limited internet access, so Netflix is enjoyed at our house solely through the postal service. I leave most of the choices there up to my husband since, other than the average two movies a week that I watch, I'm normally reading. He always goes for movies rather than series, but I believe I would really enjoy any of these you've shared, especially the first two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I'm totally Netflix-addicted!!!
    So many good series and so less time! Can't wait for the 4th season of Sherlock, one of my fav series ever! :D
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch "Line of Duty", but "Sherlock" and "Luther" are the best. <3 Greetings. I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try old versions of TENKO cant beat them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the latest season of Orange Is The New Black. I've watched many British series on Masterpiece Theater and on Netflix. I loved Downton Abbey, Happy Valley, and Last Tango In Halifax. I love Benedict Cumberbatch and want to watch all of the episodes of Sherlock.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that the only reason why I have watched Sherlock is because my son has a new telly in his bedroom and the show looks fantastic on it. :-) Agree on dialogue and acting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the suggestions! We are currently watching House of Cards on Netflix. We don't get cable television live, so love to be able to access shows this way.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a reader rather than a watcher. Mostly I prefer the UK programs though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the recomendations

    ReplyDelete
  10. Netflix is becoming very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love "Luther"...and, of course, Idris Elba...no one wears an overcoat as well as Elba! :)

    And I'm a huge fan of "Line of Duty"...the latest season started here on Friday night just passed and I watched the first episode yesterday...brilliant show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watch British productions and foreign language series, with sub-titles. Luther and Sherlock are favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all new to me. I am always looking for new Netflix shows though. :) Since I have had Netflix I have caught up on a lot of shows/series I have missed- like Lost. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm will have to try some of the shows you mentioned. Just started watching Frontier on Netflix and am looking to see more. thanks for the suggestions
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Netflix is a boon to the kids. They are the ones who keep track of new releases and having all the fun.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love watching detective and thriller shows though live in an eastern country where these show mostly are not available or come later through net etc.
    your recommendations sound interesting to me i will look out for them for sure

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are very big on old movies, especially the film noirs of the 30's-50's. We had to give up Netflix last year because the Canadian version just didn't have the variety we needed. But we do find other sources and we download a lot of our television shows now. Love thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, as an 'elder' person, in Australia ...yep, watched "Line of Duty" a couple of years ago on the Australian 'free to air' Australian Broadcasting Commission TV (a bit like a watered down, underfunded BBC) also the full series of the Cumberbach "Sherlock" - a very interesting performer - especially in the British productions of the 'Shakespeare's Kings' series..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have watched them all, haha!

    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sherlock is my favourite, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely post dear! Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. British mysteries are the best. American ones seldom compete. We have a saying when we try a new series, and it isn't up to snuff: ""It isn't Morse." I guess that old program is our standard. The spinoff, Lewis, was certainly up to snuff, and well as Endeavour, Morse as a young one. Then there's Happy Valley, The Fall, and Broadchurch which are also excellent. Of course, I lose track of those that I've watched on Netflix and those I've watched elsewhere. Oh, don't forget, Gorge Gently and Foyle's War.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Netflix on our smart TV, just wonderful. Not into lawyer, police, murder, court room shows, a little is ok in a series.
    I watch Outlander (many times),The Paradise, Travellers, Between, The Returned, Glitch, The OA, Stranger Things, Bates Motel when I'm in the mood to watch those types of programmes.
    I also watch British Documentary's.
    Don't often watch a movie, probably start to watch but often find movies have no substances but there are a few good ones on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like the Sherlock Holmes series.
    The actor is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  25. I like to watch the Oulander series, of course!!!
    Love Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Netflix is popular. 'House of Cards' is my favourite series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i did have Netflix and then finally gave it up 'cause they made me angry. you seat around waiting for these seasons to come along and then they are often a let down. one i loved was The Fall check it out of you like a crime drama ... such great actors ... i think i enjoy Jamie Dornan more in this crime drama than in 50 shades ... he is better has a crime person. just my opinion though. i am drawing a blank on the ladies name she is from X-Files ... she is great as well. i am not sure why ... maybe you know... but British folks no matter what they say are just so kind ... like you can be saying the meanest thing ever and for some reason it seems almost kind ... hope that makes sense??! maybe it is the accent? My brother works with a lady she is from London i think .. or sort of close there ... & every one at his work is constantly talk to her about her accent ... i think us USA-ians are just drawn to accents ... we don't mean harm or rude-ness ... just curious-ness. we are only human ... we love differences. i know i have an accent but it does not stand out to me ... it is just normal ... but folks say to me ... & where are you from? lol! thank you for your visits lately. you are so kind. take care. ( ;

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti