The National Maritime Museum: In Photos


Quote of the day: 

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in. -Isaac Asimov



Front view of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, UK

Greenwich in London is an important town notable for its maritime history. It also lends its name to the Royal Borough of Greenwich. The National Maritime Museum is the leading maritime museum in the UK and arguably the largest of its kind in the world. Like most publicly funded museums in the UK there is no admission charge.

Entrance signage of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, UK

Set in the beautiful Greenwich park its historic buildings form a great part of the Maritime World Heritage Site. In 2012, Royal Museums Greenwich was formally approved by the Queen as the new overall title for the National Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory, Queen's House and the Cutty Sark which was explored in a previous post.

The Sea Is History by Derek Walcott at the National Maritime Museum

If you are ever in London do no miss out on visiting this historic site in Greenwich. The museum is very popular with kids, and it is certainly a great learning trip for anyone as the marvel of all the items and art pieces on display will inspire you such as the Type 23 frigate propeller shown below. This is a class of frigate built for the UK's Royal Navy.

Type 23 frigate propeller display at National Maritime Museum

Panorama of London engraved by S.C.Smyth,1845 at National Maritime Museum
Kids playing on world map display, National Maritime Museuem in Greenwich
Ship lanterns display at National Maritime Museuem in Greenwich
Shipping display at National Maritime Museuem in Greenwich

The Art Fund and the museum launched an appeal to acquire an artwork titled 'Nelson's Ship in a Bottle' by artist Yinka Shonibare which is a replica of Nelson's HMS victory -a ship best known for her role in the battle of Trafalgar. It is displayed outside the new Sammy Ofer Wing of the museum (pictured below), where it is visible across Greenwich Park.

Yinka Shonibare's Nelson in a bottle at National Maritime Museum

Greenwich has always had great association with the sea as it was a landing place for the Romans. The museum was opened in 1937 by King George V and based on the generous donations of Sir James Caird.

Panorama of London engraved by S.C.Smyth,1845 at National Maritime Museum

Fun Facts

1. The National Maritime Museum houses the Caird library and archive which is the world's largest maritime historical reference library.

2. The Museum is the largest of its kind in the world and with a vast collection of items.

3. The uniform Lord Admiral Nelson wore when fatally wounded at the battle of Trafalgar is on display at a gallery in the museum.

4. The museum's name was suggested by writer Rudyard Kipling, although he passed away a year before it opened.

You can find more fun facts here.


Peace. Love. Light* 



Current Listen: Gregory Porter -Liquid Spirit

Post a Comment

51 Comments

  1. What a great post. I was impressed. Next time I will be in London, I will definitely visit this museum. Thank you for sharing all these information, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its certainly one not to miss out on when you do visit. Nice of you to rop by, thank you.

      Delete
  2. a beautiful place just to see in photos, love the glass ceiling and that amazing propellor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it and such a special place to visit. Greetings to you.

      Delete
  3. WE visited this museum years ago when we came to London. The Cutty Sark wasn't open (lucky you to see it) but I found this museum fascinating. Did you also go up to the observatory? Hope you have some photos of that too some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully next time you visit you will get to see the Cutty Sark. And yes I did go up to the Observatory -hopefully I'll do a post on that soon. All wonderful places to visit and see no doubt. Warm greetings and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I start by saying that I like the quote. Very true. Assumptions can be very damaging...
    I have never visited this museum. There was so much to see when I visited London (3x I believe) that I missed museums and art galleries. I did visited churches, however.
    A very informative post that I really appreciated.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. correction: I did visit.... : (

      Delete
    2. It's great that you did get to visit, I guess there was so much to see and do that you may have not recalled going there initially. It's a grand museum no? Hope you had a good time. And true, assumptions can be damaging and should be avoided. Greetings.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, my correction was referring to "I did visited churches".

      Unfortunately I did not visit this museum.

      :)

      Delete
  5. There is no charge for such a great museum? I´m double-impressed!
    It really, really looks very interesting!
    When QANTAS starts flying London > Perth I´ll make sure to come a day early and pay a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and many more great museums also offer free admission. It is very interesting like you've observed and larger than the photos show. Hopefully you will enjoy it when you get to see it eventually. Greetings.

      Delete
  6. I love museums! I wish I could go inside and visit this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with so many of our place names based on our history, we have a Greenwich as well. Ours is a natural wonder with parabolic sand dunes and an incredible beach. It does its British namesake proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because my father was in the Navy I am fascinated by all things having to do with ships and the ocean. This was most informative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tour!! Enjoyed every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a BM2 in the USN.
    Grand to read and view "B", thanks for the inspired thoughts! _
    __ Museums allow us to balance histories within our own civil values, and to step forward by adding protectivity, to that civility. _m

    yesterday
    guides today's course
    new chart


    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite not being an ocean/sea kind of person, I think I would find much to enjoy at this museum. That's one big propeller!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is another museum to visit when I go to London!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Blogoratti - oddly I was out there last week with a South African friend who wanted to visit Greenwich (she's not too well) so we couldn't do too much. I usually go to Museums for a specific exhibition - travelling up from the South Coast encourages that - I can't spend time wandering around looking ... but one day I must just lurk and look. Thanks for reminding me the museum is there to be looked at to - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been lucky enough to visit this. Really need to -- love museums of all types, and this one looks exceptional. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Starboard and port. I can never remember left and right. Or is it right and left?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've sold me. If I ever manage to make it there, I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to live a couple of miles from there. Thanks for the memories.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful images of this location, good Sir... we will never get to go there, so thank you for posting this an enjoyable read as well...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Museums are so much fun. Loved all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the armchair tour. The building and grounds so beautiful. So much to see and I'm left with an earworm after looking at the lanterns. Starboard shines green and port is glowing red. I can see the barges far ahead. From the Girl Scout song Barges. :-D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for sharing. Since we don't do any traveling abroad, these tours are really great for us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an amazing place! Thanks for sharing the info and photos with us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting post dear! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. This museum looks like it is full of wonderful things. I enjoyed the details of the building that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a really cool museum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful quote and a wonderful museum. You can't go wrong visiting a museum, they are so fascinating and educational. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like an interesting museum. I find the older I get the more I enjoy museums. So much to learn. Thanks for sharing your pictures and information with us. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks like a great place to visit, very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the great tour

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now I know a bit more about Greenwich. All that I knew before was that folks there had a very Mean Time in life. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was in London over the weekend and we drove past it. It looks very interesting, hopefully I get to visit it on my next trip to London! xx
    Coco Bella Blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. worth visiting museum!!
    wonderfully captured .
    enjoyed the virtual tour a lot

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't know if I'll ever make it to London, but your pics and descriptions are so great, it's almost like being there. Thanks so much! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've never been in London but when I do, I would love to visit the museum! Looks like a perfect place for exploring and learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. We enjoy visiting musuems on our travels and this one will be on our "to see" list when we do get to London as Grenville is a former boat owner. Thanks for the photo tour and information.

    ReplyDelete
  37. seems as calm as the sea itself when it's behaving well :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for sharing the information here.
    It looks a fascinating museum, and I enjoyed seeing it with you!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks very beautiful and interesting museum.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have always wanted to visit here, after seeing your post I should just go there! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Do connect with me on my other platforms below.

e: blogoratti@gmail.com
twitter: Iamblogoratti
Instagram: Iamblogoratti