Quote of the day:

A man with a beard was always a little suspect anyway. You couldn't say you wore a beard because you liked a beard. People didn't like you for telling the truth. You had to say you had a scar so you couldn't shave. -John Steinbeck



image: Doghousediaries

I wondered why lately, I've been getting a lot of questions concerning my beard. And as I sat to write this post, my mind wandered to a scene that played out a few months back -and a memorable one at that. You see, I was practically stopped in public by a gentleman who complemented my beard and then proceeded to start a conversation, no scratch that -a question and answer session, not only about how long had I grown it for, but also he asked for grooming and product tips.

Ten minutes later, and after a healthy discussion- or so it seemed, about grooming and whatnot (totally awkward for me, but hey there's a first time for everything right?), I went on my way. And afterwards I thought -well that was a quite random moment. As it turns out, that was the defining moment.

So here are the top 7 things I've learned while keeping a beard.

1. A beard is a great conversation starter. Ever been too shy to talk to people first? Well there you go, thank me later.

2. The first 3-6 months are the hardest. Its going to itch a lot during this period. If you can win this battle, then its smooth sailing from there.

3. It makes you look older. Self explanatory.

4. Random people will ask about your grooming habits.  For example, do not be surprised when a shop assistant asks you how long it took for it to grow, and what grooming tips you can offer -all these while you are at the check out point.

5. Some will question why you are growing a beard, some will hate it, but most will love it. Again, self explanatory really.

6. Grooming is key. With time you will learn what products work for you, and what doesn't. Keeping it neat and tidy is always a plus. Not a mean feat I'd say, but well worth the effort.

7. Some will assume you are religious. Again, self explanatory.


If don't have a beard that's fine. If you are out there with a beard -or thinking of growing one (I've had mine for about 2 years), all I can say is keep growing!

Peace.Love.Light*

Current Listen: Manchester Orcehstra -Virgin